Friday 10 January 2014

Raised Bed Gardening in Auckland New Zealand

For Christmas I was given a raised garden bed frame.


I must have been talking too much about how I wanted to grow my own herbs... Ooops. Oh well if you don't ask you don't get!

I went out and bought some supplies from Mitre 10 Mega.


Two bags of compost and three bags of soil. A fork, trowel and rake, three pairs of gloves, plus some seed raising mix as I plan to grow Chillies. I got everything here for under $50!



I spent about a week peeking outside at different spots around the house to try and see which got the most sun, and decided this sheltered north-facing spot by the hedge will have to do.

In the beginning I was intent on lining the bed with plastic or weed mat, mostly because I think the wood is untreated and I want it to last for a while.







But in the end, and after lots of research, I decided just to lay a few sheets of newspaper in the bottom, to stop too much soil from falling through the holes.


I used the 'lasagne' method, by layering the soil and compost intermittently. I'll probably dig through it a bit before I plant just to mix it more and loosen it up.





This is all I've done so far, I want to let the soil rest for a few days so that the compost can break down a bit and everything can settle.

I really have NO idea what I'm doing! I'm just following my gut, and bits of info I've gathered from the net, and my mum.


If there's anything that I'm doing wrong or could do better, please feel free to comment. Any advice is welcome! 


No comments:

Post a Comment